Further Support

Support and advice

We understand that the Coronavirus pandemic will have a direct impact on some of our tenants financial circumstances. If you are struggling to pay for rent, food, fuel and other essentials, please get in touch with us urgently.

Our Welfare Rights Team are available to advise you during this time, and can also make links with other agencies who can help you. They can also help you to navigate the benefits system during this time, or give information about how to claim statutory sick pay if you should require it. If you're struggling to get to grips with what help is available during the Coronavirus pandemic, please read our Covid-19 Benefit Guide to find out what support is in place.

Call 0141 429 3900 or email admin@newgorbalsha.org.uk to get in touch.

Gorbals Law Centre are still available by phone on 0141 634 0313. The Law Centre can provide broad money advice as well as more specific advice on matters including how to claim Universal Credit and the UK Government’s Job Retention Scheme.

Citizens Advice Scotland also have lots of resources on their website www.citizensadvice.org.uk that may be useful, and you can contact their helpline on free phone number 0800 028 1456.

Glasgow Libraries are continuing to offer Universal Credit advice, call 0808 169 9901 to book a phone appointment.


Access to food and medicine

If you are self-isolating and need support to access food or your medication, please get in touch with us. We can help get food and medicine to you if you are unable to leave your home, and do not have friends, family members, or neighbours who are able to help.

If you have received a letter from the Chief Medical Advisor to let you know you or the person you care for are in the shielding category, you will be eligible for free Scottish Government food parcels. You will also be able to access priority delivery slots for supermarkets, and prescription collections. Glasgow City Council have provided more information and contact details at https://glasgow.gov.uk/shieldingfaqs.

You do not have to be in the shielding group to receive help. If you are struggling to get access to food for any reason, including if you are unable to leave your home, or if you are experiencing financial difficulties, you can call the free government helpline 0800 111 4000. This will redirect you to your local authority (Glasgow City Council for those living in Gorbals). This phone line is open on weekdays 9am – 5pm.


Food Train

Food Train’s shopping delivery service is open to new users, and is available in Glasgow. If you are over 65 and struggling to get to the shops, you can sign up for Food Train to collect a shopping list for you from the supermarket. You pay for the cost of your shopping, plus a £5 service charge which covers the cost of Food Train collecting and delivering your items. There is also a £1 yearly membership fee, which gives you to all the services Food Train deliver. For more information visit www.thefoodtrain.co.uk


Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline

Reports of domestic abuse and violence have increased during the pandemic. Should you need help, Scotland’s Domestic Abuse Helpline remains fully operational during this time. Call 24/7 on 0800 027 1234 or visit https://safer.scot/ 

You can also contact Glasgow Women's Aid by calling 0141 553 2022, or email admin@glasgowwomensaid.org.uk. Their hours are Monday - Friday 9.30am - 4.30pm. 

Glasgow Women's Aid, 4th Floor, 30 Bell Street, Candleriggs, Glasgow, G1 1LG. 


Support from our local 3rd sector

Local organisations and charities came together to create this Information and Support leaflet. Contains lots of information on essentials such as food and fuel, but also links to activities, doctor's surgeries, and other important contacts to help you through the Coronavirus pandemic.