Bin services have been reduced by Glasgow City Council at this time. This is to keep the most essential services running as they should, including green (general waste) bins and blue (paper/plastic) recycling bins. Brown bin services were reintroduced from Monday 11th May.
You can help the refuse collection crews in a few different ways:
- Cleaning bin handles and lids.
- Washing your hands before and after touching the bins.
- Keep a safe distance from any refuse staff you see in the street. A minimum of 2 metres distance will protect them and you.
- Be mindful where you park your car on collection days. Residential roads are busier at the moment, and can make it difficult for the refuse collection vehicles to gain access, especially in narrow streets.
- If you have a confirmed or suspected case of Coronavirus in your household, you should place personal waste such as tissues in a securely tied bin liner or bag. This should then be places in a second bin liner or bag, securely tied, and then stored separate to other waste for at least 72 hours before being placed in the general waste bins.
Other services are suspended until further notice. These include:
- Food waste: you can dispose of food waste in your general waste bin.
- Glass bin: please do not present this for uplift. Public collection points are still being serviced if you are able to dispose of glass bottles and jars there.
- Bulk waste: bulk waste collections are suspended. Do not leave items on the street for collection.
Association staff have removed some items as they are a dangerous fire hazard, and attract fly tipping and vermin. We cannot replace the service suspended by Glasgow City Council. Please keep your items at home until service resumes.
Items left on the street during the current health crisis will be considered fly tipping, which is a criminal offence, and we will support the police to prosecute.
From the 1st June, Glasgow City Centre household waste and recycling centres will reopen for black bin bags only. You must be a Glasgow City Council resident to use the service, please ensure you take proof of address with you.
For more information on bin collections and other affected council services, check www.glasgow.gov.uk/coronavirus.