Moving House

At some point you may decide you want to move home. Your present home may no longer be suitable – perhaps too big or too small for your family, or you may need to move for medical, support or other reasons.

There are a few options you may wish to consider. If you want to move locally you can apply to be re-housed via

  • A mutual exchange

  • A transfer

  • Rehousing with another local landlord


Click here to look at our current housing stock and stock turnover for your desired areas and property types.

Mutual exchange

A mutual exchange takes place when two tenants of a housing association wish to exchange homes. Both tenants must apply for their landlord’s permission.

If you are interested in a mutual exchange speak to a Housing Officer by popping into the office or calling 0141 429 3900. A Housing Officer will be able to tell you what you have to do to get permission for a mutual exchange and give you advice on how to find an exchange. 

You can try to find someone to exchange with in these ways:

  • Add your name to our exchange list by speaking to one of our Housing Officers

  • Add your name to an exchange list with another landlord

  • Advertise for an exchange 


If you are an existing tenant and you wish to move within the Gorbals you can apply for a transfer. When you apply for a transfer you will be placed on our transfer list. Under our allocations policy, about 1 in 5 lets are made to transfer applicants

To apply for a transfer you must complete a transfer form to allow us to assess your application. Email us at or phone us on 0141 429 3900 and we will send you out a form.  We are happy to help you fill in the form in the office.

We operate a points system based on housing need. Points are awarded for various factors, including:

  • overcrowding or under-occupying your home

  • a medical condition affected by your current home, where re-housing would help

  • social factors – including getting or giving support and relationship breakdown

  • harassment

Unfortunately, as properties don’t often become available, there are more people looking for a transfer than houses for them to move into.

If you apply for a move you can tell what areas and property types you would prefer. For an idea of what types of properties become available throughout the year, and in which areas, you can take a look at our housing stock.

Other Housing Associations

If you are applying to other landlords you can apply to any number in the area that you are willing to consider.

Ending the tenancy

If you give notice that you are leaving, your Housing Officer will visit you to inspect the property and advise what you should do before you leave.

This includes:

  • providing a forwarding address

  • leaving the house clean and tidy with decoration in acceptable condition

  • removing all your belongings including floor coverings

  • making arrangements for furniture etc. to be removed in one load

  • paying all rent due

  • handing in all keys including keys for common areas

  • doing all necessary repairs agreed with Housing Management staff

  • removing any alterations installed without our permission

  • applying for any compensation you may be entitled to

Tenancies can be ended in the following ways:

  1. The tenant and any joint tenant give 28 days’ notice in writing.
  2. By written agreement between the tenant, any joint tenant and the Association.
  3. By an order granted by the courts. We may seek a court order if you have broken some conditions of the tenancy agreement. We will seek to evict you only as a last option after trying to contact you to resolve any problems. We will send you a notice if we are considering taking court action.
  4. By abandoning your home. If we believe that you have abandoned your tenancy, we will make some checks then serve notices on you and follow the legal steps to recover the property.
  5. By your death, unless the tenancy passes to someone else.
  6. By converting the tenancy to a short SST if an anti-social behaviour order has been served.
  7. By sale to you. 

If your relationship breaks down

The Matrimonial Homes (Family Protection) (Scotland) Act 1981 gives various rights to a tenant’s spouse when a relationship is breaking down.

The law is complicated and we recommend that you take advice by contacting us and one or more of the following agencies:

If the tenant dies

If you die other members of the household may have a right to take over the tenancy.

These include:

  • Your husband/wife or partner

  • A joint tenant

  • A member of your family aged 16 or over

  • A carer (in certain circumstances)

In all cases the person who takes over the tenancy must be living there as their main home when you die.

For some types of property, that have been specially adapted, this right to take over the tenancy does not apply. We can however offer alternative accommodation to a person who qualifies.