New Gorbals Housing Association is committed to providing high-quality customer services. We value complaints and use information from them to help us improve our services. If something goes wrong or you are dissatisfied with our services, please tell us. This page describes our complaints procedure and tells you how you can make a complaint. It also tells you about our service standards and what you can expect from us. Here is our Complaints Handling Procedure.

Please note that due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, we are working from home with a reduced staff team. We may not respond to emails and phone calls as quickly as we would normally expect, and are unable at this time to hold face to face meetings with you. We are still actively dealing with all complaints, but our response times may be longer than the standard stated in our Complaints Handling Procedure. If we cannot respond to your complaint within normal timescales, we will let you know in our correspondence with you.

What is a Complaint?

We regard a complaint as any expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us or on our behalf.

What can I complain about?

You can complain about things like:

  • delays in responding to your enquiries and requests
  • failure to provide a service

  • our standard of service

  • dissatisfaction with our policy

  • treatment by or attitude of a member of staff

  • our failure to follow proper procedure

Your complaint may involve more than one of our services or be about someone working on our behalf.

What can’t I complain about?

There are some things we can’t deal with through our complaints procedure. These include:

  • a routine first-time request for a service, for example reporting a problem that needs to be repaired or initial action on anti-social behaviour

  • requests for compensation

  • our policies and procedures that have a separate right of appeal, for example, if you are dissatisfied with the level of priority you have been given when applying for a house, you may have the right to appeal against the decision

  • issues that are in court or have already been heard by a court or a tribunal

  • an attempt to reopen a previously concluded complaint or to have a complaint reconsidered where we have already given our final decision following a stage 2 investigation.

If you are still not satisfied, you can ask the Housing and Property Chamber First-tier Tribunal for Scotland for an independent review of the complaint. If other procedures or rights of appeal can help you resolve your concerns we will give information and advice to help you.

Who can complain?

Anyone can make a complaint to us, including the representative of someone who is dissatisfied with our service. Please also read the section ‘Getting help to make your complaint’

How do I complain?

You can complain in person at our office, by phone, in writing, or by email.

It is easier for us to resolve complaints if you make them quickly and directly to the service concerned. So please talk to a member of our staff at the service you are complaining about. Then they can try to resolve any problems on the spot.

When complaining, tell us:

  • your full name and address

  • as much as you can about the complaint

  • what has gone wrong

  • how you want us to resolve the matter.

How long do I have to make a complaint?

Normally you must make your complaint within six months of the event you want to complain about, or of finding out that you have something to complain about, but no later than twelve months after the event itself. In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a complaint after the time limit. If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint please tell us why.

What happens when I have complained?

 We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaint. Our complaints procedure has two stages:

Stage 1: Frontline resolution

We aim to resolve complaints quickly and close to where we provided the service. This could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong and immediate action to resolve the problem. We will give you our decision at stage 1 in five working days or less; unless there are exceptional circumstances. If we can’t resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why. If you are still dissatisfied you can ask for your complaint to be investigated further through stage 2. You may choose to do this immediately or sometime after you get our initial response. We can help you with making this request.

Stage 2: Investigation

Stage 2 deals with two types of complaint: those that have not been resolved at stage 1 and those that are complex and require detailed investigation.

When using stage 2 we will:

  • acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three working days

  • discuss your complaint with you to understand why you remain dissatisfied and what outcome you are looking for

  • give you a full response to the complaint as soon as possible and within 20 working days.

If our investigation will take longer than 20 working days, we will tell you. We will agree revised time limits with you and keep you updated on progress.

What if I'm still dissatisfied?

After we have fully investigated, if you are still dissatisfied with our decision, or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Housing and Property Chamber First-tier Tribunal for Scotland to look at it. The Housing and Property Chamber will try to resolve complaints and disputes between home owners and property factors.

Visit the Housing and Property Chamber First-tier Tribunal for Scotland  for more information.

Getting Help to Make your Complaint

We understand that you may be unable, or reluctant, to make a complaint yourself. We are happy to accept complaints from someone you have chosen to represent you. We will require you to sign a mandate allowing this person to complain on your behalf. We can post or email this mandate to you, or you can pick it up at our office. We can take complaints from a friend, relative or an advocate, if you have given them your consent to complain for you and have returned a signed mandate to us.

You can find out about advocates in your area by contacting the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance or Citizens Advice Bureau.

We are committed to making our service easy to use for all members of the community. In line with our statutory equalities duties, we will always ensure that reasonable adjustments are made to help customers access and use our services. We can provide details about our Complaints Handling Procedure in other languages and formats (such as large print, audio and Braille). Please tell us if you would like information in a different format.


Housing and Property Chamber Contact Details

If you require to contact the Housing and Property Chamber, you can:


More details about the Housing and Property Chamber and what they do can be found on their website



Your privacy

We take your privacy seriously, and process your personal data in line with the relevant legislation. For information on how your personal data is processed and stored by us, please read our Fair Processing Notice. You can find our Fair Processing Notice along with our Privacy Policy here. We can also email or post this to you, or you can pick up a copy in the office.