Your Home

Alterations and Improvements

If you are thinking of making any alterations or improvements to your home you should contact the Maintenance Section before carrying out any work. This includes altering existing fixtures or fittings and adding new fittings. Examples of such work would include:

  • Installing a new shower
  • Installing a new kitchen
  • Putting down laminate flooring or tiling
  • External decoration (painting the building or fences for instance)
  • Putting up a garage or shed
  • Building a driveway
  • Putting up a fence or wall

We will not normally give permission for extensions, loft conversions or conservatories. If you need a bigger house we would aim to meet your need by re housing you.

We will also not give permission for certain alterations like artex painting or altering a gas fire.

If you want to make alterations or improvements you must fill in a form asking for our permission. You can download a form here (can there be a link to this?) or pick one up at the office. If you would like, a member of staff will help you complete the form.

We will consider your request and will not refuse it unless we have a good reason to do so. We will let you know what our decision is in writing and we may carry out an inspection first to help us make our decision.

If we agree to the work there might be some conditions on it. If you are unhappy about our decision you can complain through our complaints procedures.

If you have already made an alteration without our permission we may return it to its original condition and re-charge you for this work. 

Right to Compensation for Improvements

If you have made alterations or improvements to your home, with our written permission, you may be entitled to compensation when you give up your tenancy. This is set out in the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001.

To qualify for compensation we must have given our approval for the work, your tenancy must have ended and the work must have been done after 30th September 2002.

The types of improvement works that may qualify for compensation are:

  • Bath or shower
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Sound insulation (external)
  • Double glazing, other window replacement or secondary glazing
  • Draught proofing of external doors or windows
  • Installing mechanical ventilation in bathroom or kitchen
  • Kitchen sink
  • Loft insulation
  • Rewiring to provide power, lights or other electrical fixtures including smoke detectors
  • Security measures, other than burglar alarm systems
  • Space or water heating
  • Storage cupboards in the bathroom or kitchen
  • Thermostatic radiator valves
  • Wash-hand basin
  • Water closet
  • Work surfaces for food preparation

You can apply up to 28 days before your tenancy end, or up to 21 days after your tenancy ends. It is best to contact us as soon as you know that your tenancy will be ending. We will remind you in writing when you give notice on your tenancy. You can still claim compensation if the tenant has died or in other special circumstances. You will not receive compensation if you buy your house under the right-to-buy scheme or if your house is being repossessed.

You should apply in writing and include the following information in your letter:

  • Copies of bills and receipts to show the cost of the work
  • Details of when the work was started and completed

If you need help to apply please contact the Maintenance Section. Members of staff will be happy to help you.

After you have applied we will arrange to inspect your property and then tell you our decision. Your claim will be based on the cost of the work (this can include material and labour but not your own labour.)

We will compare the costs of the work, how long ago the work was done, and the estimated life of the type of work involved, (estimated life of different types of work has been set by the Scottish Government.)

We may take further factors into account. We can pay compensation of up to £4000, but not less than £100.

If you would like further information you can request our compensation for improvements.

If you disagree with the decision you can ask us to review it. The review will be carried out by an independent 

Planned and Cyclical Maintenance

We have a cyclical maintenance programme for all of our properties to prevent repairs arising and to maintain our properties. Our cyclical maintenance programme includes gutter cleaning, annual gas safety checks, external paintwork. 

Major Works

When we carry out major work to your home we will consult you as much as possible before arranging the work, and give you at least 2 weeks’ notice of when we need access to your home. We will also tell you how long the work is likely to last and how much disruption to expect.

We will hold meetings with tenants and keep you informed by letter and in the newsletter. We will also conduct customer feedback surveys when the work is complete. 

Communal Areas

All tenants have a shared responsibility for the upkeep of common areas such as the close, bin areas and any shared facilities within the building such as laundry rooms. You should also keep to any rotas and arrangements for using laundry rooms, drying rooms and external drying facilities.

In some developments residents are responsible for cleaning the close and must take their turn. In others, a contractor cleans the close and maintains the landscaped areas. The cost of this is included in your rent and service charge. However, it is the residents’ responsibility to keep these areas clean and tidy at all other times. We hope that all residents will play their part in keeping the common areas tidy for all those who use them.

If you are unsure of the arrangements in your area please contact Housing Management. 

Environmental Services

Glasgow City Council provides various services that you may want to use. These include:

Cleansing Service

The cleansing service removes your household rubbish each week and can also take away bulky items such as furniture.

It is your responsibility to take out your wheelie bin for collection each week and return it afterwards. Put all of your household rubbish in your wheelie bin unless you live in a block of flats with a chute.

Put out larger items for bulk collection as arranged. The schedules for collection bulk can change so check with the Council’s Land and Environmental Services Department if you are unsure. (can we link this here?)Any problems with this service should be reported to the Land and Environmental Services Department.

Pest Control

If you have any problems with vermin you should contact Pest Control on 0845 270 1558. The Land and Environmental Services website provides information on common house hold pests and how you can manage them. 

Communal TV and Satellite Systems

In addition to the standard communal TV systems, many of our tenants have access to a communal satellite system. We normally charge for connection to the communal satellite system and costs will depend on the current offers available from the satellite provider.

Tenants must not put up individual satellite dishes. If you would like more information on the communal system please contact us. 

Annual Gas Maintenance

 As your landlord we have specific legal responsibilities when it comes to gas safety. Even if a property is only rented for a short time the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations require us as your landlord to:-

  • maintain pipework, appliances and flues provided for your use in a safe condition
  • carry out a 12 monthly gas safety check on each gas appliance/flue.  A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use
  • provide you with a record of the annual gas safety check within 28 days of the check being completed, or if you are a new tenant, before you move in. 

You will receive a letter when your gas service is due. Note that this can be earlier than the 12 month period. If you do not respond to this letter and we have not been able to obtain access to your property a second letter will be sent to you. If again access has not been granted you will be sent a final letter advising that we will force access if you do not contact the Association.


This is in the interest of safety of you and others as if gas appliances, such as boilers, are not properly installed and maintained, there is a danger of fire, explosion, gas leaks and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.