Your Tenancy

Scottish Secure Tenancy

The Scottish Secure Tenancy (SST) was introduced in September 2002 as part of the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001, which also included new rights for tenants.

All New Gorbals Housing Association tenants now have a Scottish Secure Tenancy. In certain circumstances a Short SST may be issued.  

Your Tenancy Agreement: summary of do’s and don’ts


  • Live in the house as your main home

  • Tell us if the house is going to be left empty for 4 weeks or longer

  • Take care of your home and the common areas

  • Try to heat and ventilate your house as well as you can afford to

  • Take your turn in keeping the common areas clean and tidy

  • Keep your garden tidy

  • Keep to the existing arrangements for sharing drying areas etc

  • Keep to the existing arrangements for getting rubbish and bulk removed

  • Ask for permission before making changes to your tenancy

  • Report any damage to the house or common areas

  • Keep your house in a good standard of decoration and carry out minor repairs

  • Notify us of any emergencies and make sure the pipes do not freeze

  • Ask for permission before making any alterations or improvements to the property, e.g fitting a shower

  • Give 28 days notice before ending your tenancy and follow advice on what you must do before leaving

  • Pay your rent monthly in advance and contact us if you have any problems doing so

  • Apply for housing benefit if you think you may be entitled to it and keep your claim up to date


  • Run any kind of business from your home – unless you have our written permission

  • Allow your house to become overcrowded other than through an increase in your family

  • Keep a pet if you live in a building more than 5 storey, including multi-storeys

  • Allow your pet to cause nuisance or foul common area

  • Use your home or allow it to be used for illegal or immoral activities

  • Store property in the common areas

  • Use or store paraffin heaters in the house

  • Store items or vehicles on NGHA land

  • Harass or behave in an anti-social manner to anyone in the neighbourhood or visitors, or allow anyone living in your home or visiting to do so

  • Threaten, harass of behave violently towards our staff, committee, or anyone acting on our behalf

  • Make excessive noise and disturb your neighbours

  • Allow children to cause nuisance

  • Use or carry offensive weapons

  • Leave rubbish in unauthorised places

  • Sell alcohol or illegal drugs

  • Carry out major work to any type of motor vehicle   


Tenants in multi-storey buildings higher than 5 storeys are not allowed to keep cats or dogs, except for registered guide dogs.

Tenants in other New Gorbals Housing Association properties can keep cats and dogs with our consent, which we will not normally refuse. However, tenants are responsible for making sure that pets do not cause any nuisance to neighbours, damage the property or foul the common areas. We may withdraw consent at any time if this happens.  

Breaking your Tenancy Agreement

Your tenancy agreement sets out your rights and responsibilities as a New Gorbals Housing Association tenant. You can familiarise yourself with your rights and responsibilities, here

If you break the tenancy conditions, we will make various efforts to contact you and resolve the problem. If necessary we may consider taking further action. This could apply where, for example:

  • You have rent arrears and are not keeping to a repayment arrangement

  • We have evidence of anti-social behaviour

  • You are not occupying the property as your main home for a long time

Before taking court action we will serve a notice telling you we intend to do so. We will also serve a notice on anyone else aged over 16 who is living in the house.

If you face legal action, you should contact us to try to sort things out. You may also seek independent legal advice and you can defend any action against you.

The Sheriff decides whether it is reasonable to grant a decree for eviction. If it is granted, we will report to our Management Committee, who will decide whether to enforce the decree. If they decide to do so, you will have to leave your home and find somewhere else to live.